Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Dhoni Drops a Bombshell

Wow, I'm posting after forever.

This post is to discuss and largely support a rather telling decision taken by one of my most favourite players in recent times. Yes, I am here to say that I strongly support Mahendra Singh Dhoni in his decision to sit out of the test series against Sri Lanka.

It is a bold decision, no doubt, especially at a time when other wicket keepers like Dinesh Karthik and Parthiv Patel are just waiting to make a comeback to the Indian team. The likelihood of Dhoni's replacement shining during this test series is very large. And while I wish Dhoni would play, let's look at it practically. This man has been playing non-stop for nearly 18 months, which have encompassed 14 Tests, 56 ODIs, eight Twenty20 internationals, and the IPL, as Cricinfo reliably informs me. The mere fact that his fitness has managed to last this long is unbelievable. In order to avoid a burnout or some long-term damage, I see this decision as the most logical one.

In any case, Dhoni knows that he does not need to captain the side during the tests. He also knows that he is not indispensable, because there is the star-studded (and sadly, overhyped) batting that usually turns Dhoni into the sidekick anyway. Hence, tests are probably the only time he can afford to sit out. I'm not saying he sit out every test, but this series he can afford to sit out.

I don't understand why his decision should indicate that tests are losing their importance. Frankly I don't think it's about that at all! Dhoni is the most important member of our ODI and T20 sides and hence can't afford to sit those out. He does not play such a pivotal role in the tests and hence can afford to sit out. Imagine a player who's proficient in tests... like perhaps Dravid. I know he's not in the current ODI squad, but if he was and wanted to sit some matches out, he'd sit out the ODIs and not the tests. Because India needs him during tests.

Well, maybe I'm getting it all wrong. I mean, of course ODIs and T20s are more attractive to audiences. But I really do enjoy a good test match and I believe there are many out there who do too. I hope this is not an indication that players are valueing the shorter formats more and are shunning tests. I don't think Dhoni (as one of the most well-loved captains of India) would do that... and hopefully I'm not mistaken.

I also sincerely hope the BCCI looks at his decision as a step in the right direction and adopts a much needed rotation policy. We have great bench strength and they should make full use of it. The next world cup is three years away. We have some time on our hands. I hope they don't burn out our key players in these three years, because without a doubt, the amount of cricket being played now is crazy.

In the meantime, go for it Dhoni, I'm backing you every minute of the way :D

1 comments:

Rajesh said...

Well...coming across a full-fledged cricket blog...nice to see..so I'll stop subscribing to Sportstar when I can find a Vijay Lokapally- Ram Mahesh combo in U :).. looking fwd to more articles..

You write well..keep writing.. Blog rolling U :)

P.S: Visit my blog wen u find time

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Bauble images by Clarice Gomes