Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Riding the high (still).

Here are some nice stuff about TeamIndia's historic victory against the Proteas from articles that arrive in my Gmail inbox :)

Article 1:

JOHANNESBURG, Dec 18: As the clock ticked away, and the scoreboard kept pace on a tense Monday morning, the faces in the Indian dressing room slowly started losing colour.

Anxiety had already streaked into their eyes while the frowns had also transformed into furrows: Ashwell Prince and Shaun Pollock were making an unbelievable dash for an improbable victory.

But then, suddenly, the magic moment arrived: Pollock, batting till now like he was possessed, took a mighty swipe at Anil Kumble and missed. South Africa's last hope had fallen apart; in a flash, the tension evaporated in the dressing room; the smiles were back and the chatter began all over again.

Mark Boucher had already gone back to the dressing room. Prince was still there but now it was truly just a matter if time. About 12 overs later, victory eventually kissed India.

It was a massive 123-run win, marked by an amazing team effort in which the batsmen nicely complemented the bowlers and both were backed up by superb catching.

When last man Makhaya Ntini ballooned the ball and Virender Sehwag raced towards it, the nearly-empty stadium rose to its feet. Even before he completed the catch, Rahul Dravid was jumping up and down, like a little boy who had just heard the clanging of the ice-cream man.

Suddenly, the entire team surged towards the middle and selfishly dived at the stumps. Nobody wanted to miss the memento, a souvenir for a stunning victory.

Dravid, Zaheer, Dhoni, Sehwag and Laxman proved to be the quickest and lucky ones. As the players celebrated their rebirth, hugging each other, the great Indian huddle materialised. Cries of ' India Zindabad' too rang around the stands.

Earlier in the morning, too, the day began with a huddle. Victory was just five steps away for India; for South Africa it was 239 too far but definitely not unreachable.

India needed a quick and sharp breakthrough as they defended a 402-run total: Zaheer Khan provided it in the third over itself, trapping Boucher before the stumps.

But Pollock seemed to be in a zone: he arrived and immediately started picking boundaries like he was collecting flowers in a garden. The answer had to be hidden in Anil Kumble's flippers. Eventually, one ripped past Pollock's groping bat; another crashed into his pads.

The moment was clearly nigh. Pollock succumbed to the pressure after making a splendid 40. Prince, meanwhile, continued his own resistance. On the threshold of his century, at 97, he stepped out to overtake his milestone, missed and got bowled.

Kumble with three for 54, wrapping up the tail before it could really start wagging. Sreesanth had provided the first ray of hope, with a bustling five-wicket haul in the first innings and a stunning three-wicket spell in the second. He was named the Man of the Match.

The party has begun; Christmas has clearly arrived early.

Aritcle 2:

Not even the most patriotic admirer would have imagined that India would outplay the Proteas on their home soil in the first Test. Congratulations to the Indian team. India needs more aggressive players like Sreesanth, whose energy certainly has a positive rub-on effect on the others. Team India however, should not take this victory for granted and should assiduously plan ahead. —Nitin G Gokarn, Mumbai.

Yup. Go read the articles on Cricinfo if you want to ride the high of this victory still further. Here's one that will help :)
http://content-eap.cricinfo.com/rsavind/content/current/story/273283.html
OH and this one is just AWESOME. I could read it and be happy all day. TEAMINDIALOVE
http://content-eap.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/273285.html
And listen to Dravid's press conference because... well, just because. I will not risk my dignity by fangirling in specifics.

I just read this mile long interview with Greg Chappell on Cricinfo. It was really very insightful and I think my respect for him has gone up a few notches. Seriously. I mean, a lot of things he says makes so much sense, and not just to cricket. I think I took a couple of life lessons away from that interview. So go read that too.
http://content-eap.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/273408.html

I feel this bubbly warmth inside me now. AHHHHH the joys of cricket.
Ok let me not get too carried away because I know I will revert back to upset (although not faithless) if (touchwood) they lose the next test. Or even draw it. I mean, I want them to win. >< AHHHH MUST LOWER EXPECTATIONS.

Oh and I need to sleep. The time is 2.39 am EEP. GOODNIGHT!

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Bauble images by Clarice Gomes