I do wonder how it must feel to defeat Australia, as England have so convincingly done on the last two occasions they faced them. Truly remarkable performances from England and truly pathetic ones from Australia, and I don't just mean by their own standards. If you go by Australia's usual standards, their last two performances have been nothing short of abysmal. Catches (sitters and dollies) were dropped by complete butter-fingers, run out chances were missed, throws ended up at the wrong end of the pitch... yeah, it just wasn't clicking for the Aussies.
Has the top team dipped in standard, perhaps age has finally caught up with their (no offence) rather vintage team? It is indeed tempting to say yes. But looking back at this season of theirs, I would say these losses are purely due to undue complacency.
It's amazing isn't it, the way the Aussie team seems so timeless, so incontrovertibly no.1? The number of times they have trounced teams on their way to victory after victory, somehow makes them seem almost God-like, a class above the rest. But when you watch them collapsing with 6 wickets for 33 runs in the last 10 overs, it strikes you very hard that they are only all too human, and as we all know, what goes up, must come down. So I continue to console myself with the laws of gravity, and live in the hope that someday, somebody else (*cough*India*cough*) will replace Australia at the top.
I just pray that I will live to see that day.
Friday, February 09, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment