Friday, January 25, 2008

Masterful performances.

Today was a very mixed day once again- with India doing brilliantly to score 526 runs, and then Australia wresting the edge from India in the final hours of play, ending at 62-0.

But some individuals shone beyond the seesawing Test match.
Bhajji- brilliant batting to get to 63 and then he threw away his wicket. But he played a very handy innings, a batsman's innings, lower down the order. There's this ad which says "Bhajji jaise garam samose"- and I think it has described him to a T. His character (and the innings he played today) are precisely like samosas- perky, fiery, and a blend of many wonderful spices to form a well-loved whole.
Keep rocking Bhajji, that maiden test hundred is not far away.

Kumble- Captain Courageous.
Need I say more?
His innings of 87 and the 107-run partnership with Bhajji and then the 50-odd run partnership with Ishant Sharma were the highlights of today. He batted like a dream, leading from the front and by example. An amazing individual, who at 37 and the evening of his career, seems to be only growing as a cricketer. As Harsha Bhogle aptly put it- "not a short winter evening but a splendid, long summer evening".
Long live the lionheart of Indian cricket.

Tendulkar- the little master once again showed precisely why he has been nicknamed so.
And because I cannot POSSIBLY in any time in my life express myself even a fraction as well as Harsha Bhogle can, I'll quote his article.

Tendulkar’s century wasn’t the most breathtaking, the most strokeful or
crafted in the most dire situation.

Yet it was special because it was built like what a fine mason would the perfect structure. It was an innings that lovers of test match cricket would savour like, I am told, connoisseurs of single malt would their drink.

After a while, Tendulkar said, every ball went where he wanted it to. It is a feeling of power and control and visits only those with an exceptional presence. And in a striking co-incidence it brought to mind a clip from Bradman that I heard at the Annual Oration in Perth.

When asked about a specific innings Bradman paused and let loose a chuckle. “Every ball in that innings,” he said, and you could feel the delight in his voice as he said it,
“went precisely where I wanted it to.” Is that what turns on the masters? That
supreme, exalted height from which the world appears as they wish it to? Is that
how Borg felt at the baseline? Woods on the final nine? Jordan as he released
the basketball knowing it would find its target before the clock stopped?


Ah, such words. Such words. Honestly, if Harsha Bhogle was young and single and eligible, I would be in love with him- simply because he has such mastery over words.
So I'll add on to his paragraph up there-
Is that how Mr. Bhogle felt when he picked up the commentary mic, knowing his easy eloquence and charming chatter would find more than ample space in every listener's heart?

Masters of their trades- I salute you.

The little bit of bad news- RP Singh went off the field with a hamstring pull. I sincerely hope it's nothing serious. Cricket without RP and with an underperforming Jammy is not cricket as I have come to know and love it.

What will tomorrow bring?

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Bauble images by Clarice Gomes